Sunday, May 25, 2008

Coming Right Along

One of the things I most love about gardening are the developments, both expected and not so expected, that greet each new day. It is rare for a "development" to be negative. Yesterday I got myself one of those.

One of the prizes of my garden is a huge oriental poppy which is the most beautiful pastel pink with chocolate brown centers. The blossoms are the size of salad plates. My dear hubby decided to help out with yard work yesterday, and equipped with the power of a high horse-power weedwacker, proceeded to knock down anything on our property that looked to him like a "weed." Apparently, he thinks poppy foliage looks like thistle. Wacked it to the ground.

I was upset enough to cry, but managed to keep the tears at bay for the sake of not making him feel any worse than I think he already did. No poppies this year. Is that really a problem? Is it any more of a crime than the doe and fawn that walked through our urban neighborhood last week and mowed down the raspberries and new aronia bushes? My garden has experienced some casualties, but nothing that won't be as good as new by next year. In this respect, the lesson of the month seems to be that healing happens, you just have to give up some time. In the meantime, all sorts of other places in the garden are alive and full of fragrance and beauty.

No comments: